- You’ll need a Skype account. You can find me by clicking “Contact” in Skype, and then “Add Contact” searching for “Pete Bulanow”.
- In your Skype advanced settings please uncheck “Automatically adjust microphone settings” because that compresses your audio.
- The interview is audio-only. Not using video helps avoid dropouts and helps us focus on how things sound.
- Headphones prevent feedback – gotta have ’em.
- Microphones matter.
- If you can do better than a headphone mic into a smartphone, it’ll make a difference. If not, we will make it happen.
- Try to avoid being in a live room if you’re using a really nice condenser mic, or at least put a pillow behind it to damp reflections.
- We do a cold open so we’re in red from the top. I’ll do a little bit of editing so we both sound good.
- Episodes are typically 45 minutes in length, but might go up to an hour.
- You’re a leader and mentor, and this is an opportunity to promote what you’ve been doing and expand your network. Everybody wins when that happens.
The beauty of this whole thing is that I really don’t have an agenda and our conversation is totally unscripted. Our niche here is about producing, but I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on anything related, how you look at things, what works for you, and how you think. It’s also a safe place to get on your soapbox about things that we, as a community, should be talking about. Although be aware, this will be posted on the internet so I leave the naming of names up to you. Feel free to go there or give me a heads-up if there is something particular you want me to ask you.
At some point before we publish, I’ll need:
- a medium high resolution picture of you (1000 x 1000 or so)
- links that you wish to share of your work and social media accounts for the show notes so people can connect with you
- an MP3 of something you did (which I’ll edit in during post-production) that we can close with.
- I wish to maintain a clean podcast in good standing on iTunes. If your language gets spicy, you won’t offend me, but it would help me out if you would restate what you just said with a G-rated version. Also, please avoid figures of speech that may be interpreted as taking God’s name in vain.
- I will record with ecamm call recorder (which lets me multitrack record/edit). If you wish, you can record as well as a backup, and then dropbox it to me. Don’t install this more than seven days out from the interview or you’ll miss the free demo period (unless you’d like to pay for it). Alternately, if you simply hit record on quicktime, it will create a backup of your audio in the event of a Skype dropout on my end.
- Plugging your machine directly into a router will help minimize dropouts.
If any part of this doesn’t make sense, please ask! I’m more than happy to walk you through it. I’m really grateful to have this time with you. I’ve found that we all have spent so much time thinking about our craft inside our own heads, that when asked or provided the space, we all have so much to say. I’m really looking forward to a great conversation with you!
Any advice for the next podcaster? Please leave a comment below!